Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cry For Help

Before Eva O joined up with Christian Death she had a great, unsung Death Rock outfit of her own called Super Heroines. Cry For Help was the band's 1982 debut album, and it is premium gloom not terribly unlike Only Theatre of Pain in it's vibe. Some excellent guitar work soaring and twisting over rudimentary bass lines and herky jerky drumming. Almost like a blue print or a manufactured archetype of what Death Rock is without coming off like a parody. Great album.

4 comments:

ido said...

I love this album so much. "Souls that Save" is great, too, but this one really shines. The songs are just so good. Its too bad it doesn't get more attention. Eva's fluid-like-mercury guitar playing is so distinctive. Its hypnotic, especially on "Convicts." I've had this on heavy rotation for the past few years. "I'm Not Here" often starts playing softly in the back of my conscious whenever the whole being alive thing gets my down.

JM said...

! Goddamnit, I knew I shoulda waited to make my itunes deathrock playlist. :( Thanks bunches for this though! :D

finalXnail said...

Your posting of Cortex got me back into this stuff. Usually I find death rock too fey and livejournal-y, but this shit is so cold and dejected that it has frosty little icicle teeth, not unlike black metal, and I really appreciate that. It also excels at embracing catchiness without feeling in any way tired or unimaginative. Further, though it certainly occupies a different genera entirely, I find it goes really well with Scratch Acid, another band probably worth posting about. Thanks for this one.

GRK. said...

Always been intrigued by the cover, what with the fella on the right looking like an anchorman next to the two deathpunx. Thanks!